It’s that time of the year when the next senior class is anxiously waiting for school to finally be over. No matter how difficult it is to make it to the finish line, life after college is something to really look forward to. Graduating comes with a mix of emotions and challenges, but it’s completely worth the struggle to get there. Now that I’ve been done with school for almost a year now, I’ve already experienced some of the best things life post-college has to offer. The end of college can be bittersweet, but there are so many better things ahead. Here are some of the best things about life after college:
1. No homework. This one’s an obvious plus. Once college is done, all you have to do is go to work – which means you don’t have to come home to more work. Once your work hours are done, your time is yours to do whatever you want.
2. More time for you. No homework also means this time can be spent on things you actually want to spend your time on. Having this extra time allows you to (more easily) pick up on hobbies, work out, spend time with friends, or simply just have more me-time. You can focus a lot more on yourself, your well-being and what truly makes you happy.
3. Self-sufficiency. You’ll be working a lot more than you did in college and in turn, making more money. Sure loans kick in after six months, but you’re still making enough to where you can be financially independent. You’ll be able to save money and have the freedom to choose what you spend your money on (aka higher quality pizza).
4. Realizing who your true friends are. Your schedule might seem a little hectic because you’re working a full five day week (sadly no more 3-day weekends). On top of this, your friend group may be spread to different cities because of your jobs. You most likely won’t be living within a two block radius of your friends anymore. Because of these things, you’ll need to make more of an effort to see them. Even though it seems like a bad thing, it’s a good way of filtering out those who aren’t willing to make the equal effort. Your genuine friends will be the ones to still make time to see you and talk to you through the craziness. No one likes a one-sided friendship; and life’s too short for that anyways.
5. Obtaining a clearer understanding of what you want. When you’re still in college, it can be difficult to visualize your future post-college – there are still so many unknowns. It can be hard to know what to expect. As time goes on, you’ll slowly begin to have a better understanding of what you want for your career and life in general. It’ll be easier to form the bigger picture of where you want to be in the next 5+ years and the steps you need to take to get there. It’s a good feeling to have these realizations.
Obviously everyone’s experience is a little different, but these are just five of the many great things you can expect after college. Once you’re out, you’ll soon realize how college isn’t everything and you have your whole life ahead of you. College is just the beginning of achieving your dreams.