Alright babes, let’s make 2019 the best yet. A yoga class here and a cycle class there is great, but it’s time to start now in finding and maintaining a consistent workout routine. If you don’t know where to start – I got you. Trust me, life’s more fun with a healthier mindset and a tighter butt. A consistent workout routine will give you both plus so much more!
I’ve been working out regularly for about a year and a half and I’m the healthiest and strongest I’ve ever been physical and mentally (which is equally important). Although, I’m not going to down play it – it took a lot for me to get to this point. It took focus, determination, constant trial and error, and even sacrifice. As mentally difficult as this journey was to begin, it has been completely worth it.
Once you start working out regularly, you’ll realize quickly how life-changing it is. You feel lighter, stronger and sexier and because of this, working out won’t feel like a chore but something you actually want to do. This is exactly what I want for all of you beauties. Not only will you look hot as hell, but you’ll feel hot as hell. It’s the best feeling in the world.
Through my own experience, I want to share with you what I’ve learned and what helped keep me going:
GET IT RIGHT, GET IT TIGHT
Most importantly, start with finding if high vs. low impact workouts are best for you – this will be the framework to the rest of your fitness routine. For me, I have a history of neck and back issues from past injuries, so I quickly realized my body better responded to low impact workouts such as incline walking, stair climbing, weight lifting, and yoga. If you’re someone who doesn’t have any past injuries – for example from high school sports or a car accident – then you might find that your body can easily handle high impact workouts such as running, jumping rope, burpees, or many other HIIT exercises. A combination of the two can easily be an option as well. It’s all about listening to your body.
Once you know what your body can handle, figure out what exercises you like to do. It’s as simple as that. Try anything and everything to find what exercises you actually enjoy doing. You’d be surprise to find that working out can and should be enjoyable. I knew right from the beginning that I was someone that couldn’t just walk into the gym and automatically start using different machines. I needed someone to tell me what to do – so classes were the answer. From there, I tried multiple classes to figure out what I liked the most. If you’re someone that isn’t into classes, there are a lot of fitness Instagram accounts that I reference for bodyweight and weighted exercises. I regularly check out @whitneyysimmons or @ashleigh_jordan for inspiration.
BE KIND TO YOURSELF
Remember, working out is a journey for the long term. There will be days when you don’t feel like going to the gym, weeks when you’re very busy and sometimes you’ll feel like your routine is becoming too “routine”. This is all totally normal. Be kind to yourself and do what you can. Here are a few things to keep in mind during these challenges:
1. Listen to your body. If you’re feeling sore or just not into it that day, it’s okay to rest. Take a day off or just do some yoga or stretching to recover your muscles for the next time you workout.
2. Understand that working out is more than just to benefit your physical appearance. It is an act of self-care that can make a huge impact on your mental health. The amount of negative energy you can exert during a workout is worth the struggle to get to the gym in the first place. Trust me, it’ll do wonders for you mentally and emotionally.
3. If you’re not in the mood to workout, try to still show up to the gym or do a quick at-home workout. Even 20 minutes of movement is better than nothing at all.
4. If you’re lacking some motivation, grab some friends and go exercise together. It’ll only be fun and nothing’s more motivating than the support from your friends. Plus, they’ll keep you accountable.
5. Make small adjustments to your routine as you go. Obviously overtime, your body will need different exercises as you get stronger and more flexible. Add on the weight progressively, stretch more, change up your routine – whatever you need to do that’s best for your body.
6. And most importantly, get some cute workout gear and feel like your hottest self while looking just as fashionable. Shop some of my favs below!
Good luck babes! Share with me below what your favorite workouts or classes are! I’m always looking to try new things as well!